March 24, 2013

Book Review: Summer Series by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty, Its Not Summer Without You, and We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han

The heck. --"

So, I've been reading a lot of books since its finally summer! I get to read these awesome books, but apperantly, not all of them would be awesome as I assumed.

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.






Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.
But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.


It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.



MY OPINION:

Honestly, I was really looking forward to reading this series. 'Cuz c'mon, look at those covers?! They're absolute eye candy. When I saw it, I had the really strong urge to read it. Only to realize that it might be one of the most irritating books I've ever read.

The first and second book. Damn irritating. --"

Let me set this straight okay? The plot was actually simple, but nice. The characters have this certain quality in them that makes you like them. The writing, in all fairness is good. But dang, why did the characters be half-awful? Why?!

At the first book, I get it, I actually had the feeling the I would like the story. Belly, had nurtured this childhood love for Conrad Fisher. But she knows that he would only see her as "the little sister". The story was an absolute hit for me. I had BIG expectations from what would happen, why did my dreams get crushed by mary-sue, naive girls? The Summer I Turned Pretty was the worse out of the trilogy. Because, one, I haven't seen any progress with the story until it was near the ending, Belly just had parties and hung out all summer. Conrad in my admission is hot, but dang was he a total douche. But most of all, I really don't like Belly at all. Just because she doesn't seem mature. She definitely ain't pretty here. She kinda seemed like a kid to me. A sulky, brat kid that didn't get what she want.

The second book, was at least a few millimeters better than the first. JUST A FEW MILLIMETERS. In this book, Belly matured, just a little bit to not irritate me, all the time. But instead of my dislike over her just evaporating, it a few of it moved to Conrad. Conrad, who then I saw not as a handsome, mysterious guy, but  a douche I wish I could kick because he is a complete arse! Conrad, found a very big way for me to hate him for being a douche, even though I fall for his type. What he did was complete douche territory. Specifically, what he did to Belly at prom. DUDE! IT WAS HER FREAKING PROM, yet he acted like a douche and made her feel so bad. Plus, I'm always confused by the way he acts, one moment, he was nice, then he's crappy the next, then nice then douche, and on and on and on.

But in the third book. I enjoyed it a lot because it was bearable, one thing I liked about it all, is that its realistic. Nobody is perfect. Nobody can always make you happy, will always make you laugh. This was where I was completely surprised that Jere. Jeremiah of all people cheated on Belly. I was in a state of shock. Because I always saw Jere as the good guy, but here I can pretty much say that everybody saw a different side of Jeremiah Fisher. Honestly, this was the lifesaver for the book, because if I haven't read this at all, I would think that it was just one of the most crappiest trilogies ever.

The Summer I Turned Pretty: (1 star)
Its Not Summer Without You: (2 stars)
We'll Always Have Summer: (3 stars)

1 comment:

  1. My little sister swears up and down that this series is amazing and that I must read it. I don't know if I'll like it though. It seems more for younger girls and that's probably why my little sister loves it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!