March 13, 2013

Book Review: Shatter Me and Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me & Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi (5 Stars)

It was freaking awesome. It sounds a bit mild but it IS a freaking awesome book.

Blurb from Goodreads: Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Blurb from Goodreads: 
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.
Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.
She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.
Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.
In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


 MY OPINION:


When I tried to make a review for Shatter Me, something kinda felt off. I had this feeling that I can’t make a review for it yet. After reading both the first and second book of this trilogy. I can say that, Shatter Me and Unravel Me rocked my world in a span of two weeks.

She’s been locked away, she’s been forced to use her power, under Warner’s doing. She discovered the best secret that made her life better, warmer, worth living. Having the chance to meet and be with Adam made a big change in her life. She can finally touch someone without harming him accidentally. But he’s not the only one. She knew… she knew that Warner can touch her too, and as much as she hates devious and evil Warner, she can’t help but notice how human he is. She loves Adam, she’s sure of it, but she can’t ignore she feels for Warner, even if she tried.

I’ve had a fair share of reading dystopian novels, although I loved all of those dystopian reads, there was something about Shatter Me and Unravel me that called to me. Even since I saw it in the bookstore, I knew I had to read it.

When I finally started reading the first book. I had a lot of questions coming out of my mind. Like those Adam and Warner teams, how can a love story be formed if Juliette can’t touch certain boy she loves? What is the real plot behind the blurp?

It didn’t take a while for me to fall in love with the book. I was already in it for the end at page 2. (LITERALLY), I loved everything about it, the plot was amazing because I didn’t expect everything that was happening, and I kept predicting what would happen but sometimes what happens is even better than what I imagined. It was great. I also love the writing style. It was one of those candid but raw and nicely detailed stories that will for sure make you laugh.

Then the plot twists (Note to plural), were astonishing. I praise Mafi for having great writing skills, because everything about this book is right. The twists left me breathless and pretty much dazed with amazement. I couldn’t believe that major twist (SPOILER ALERT) where Juliette isn’t the only person who has “abilities”, in fact there is a whole group of people who has different kinds of powers.

Another crazy twist is something about Warner and Adam’s connection. I won’t say anything to spoil it. But if you read Unravel Me, you’ll find yourself dumbfounded by every secret regarding both Warner and Adam.

Moreover, when you read this book, you will expect yourself, to climb a mountain of sheer awesomeness, because the excitement I felt kept building while I was progressing though the story. I couldn’t keep the book down! I couldn’t stop thinking about it, I couldn’t try and slow down reading because as much as I’m dreading the thought of having the story end. I still continue reading, because I'm dreading to know more.

Then add the fact that the characters were also a group of awesome people I wish I was friends with. Kenji. <3. It’s fate that I fall in love with him, I love him a lot because of his very funny attitude, I love him for being flirty, I love him for being obnoxious, I love him because he cares for his friends. Truly, he’s the only person in both book 1 and 2 that I loved consistently. Everyone was memorable even in a little way.

Then there’s this question I had, there were two teams. Team Adam and Team Warner. Reading Shatter Me, I couldn’t see the reason why there would even be a Team Warner. Warner was a cold, calculating, evil being. I am creeped out because of him, but as much as I saw how ugly and well, creepy his character was. I can’t help but feel like there’s something soft and true in him.

Then, after Unravel Me, I knew. I knew that Warner will hold a piece of my heart here on in. He’s completely different from his outward reaction to everything. Yet you can still see that he’s evil. Made me love him more actually, his acceptance of his evil essence, his only known purpose. I love Warner. A lot, and that's because I have the liking for bad boys, and because his vulnerability is just heartbreaking. Though I really really love Warner that doesn’t mean I don’t love Adam too.

Adam was like another dream for me, who wouldn’t be attracted with his mesmerizing eyes and very tough guy look. I was instantly attracted to his character. His mysterious personality, his unending patience, his kindness. Everything about him is lovable. But, then it happened.

After it happened, I was completely torn. I couldn’t properly think who I really love more. Warner or Adam. They were both completely different. Both perfect in there on ways, and both annoying in those other moments. It wasn’t until after I finished reading Unravel Me that I finally decided on Warner. But, I had to admit, that I’m still wondering what would happen to Adam.

WHY WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?

It gave gasps, goosebumps, butterflies in my stomach and a whole lot more of emotions. It will give you something to anticipate, something to make you smile, something that would make you half-crazy with delight. Its simply perfect and one of the most awesome dystopian reads I’ve read, so far.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:



Tahereh Mafi is a girl.

She’s 24. She was born in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Orange County, California, where she drinks too much caffeine and finds the weather to be just a little too perfect for her taste. When unable to find a book, she can be found reading candy wrappers, coupons, and old receipts. SHATTER ME is her first novel.

Foreign rights have sold in 22 territories to-date and film rights have been optioned by 20th Century Fox

CONNECT WITH HER HERE:

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I just reviewed Shatter Me and the novella Destroy Me (http://reneesdepository.blogspot.com/2013_03_01_archive.html). I haven't read Destroy Me yet, but now I'm as intrigued as ever.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!