March 23, 2013

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent by Veronica Roth (5 Stars)

Wow, that was kick-butt awesome :D

Blurb from Goodreads: One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
"New York Times" bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian "Divergent" series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.



MY OPINION:
I lately had this taste for dystopian novels, and honestly. Insurgent is not far from one of the most memorable, most exciting, most surprising, most favorite.

She finally discovered the secrets Dauntless has hidden from them. She's safe, for now. Tris is leaving the Dauntless compound with Tobias, Peter and Marcus. She knows she and Tobias aren't safe, yet. Even with the Dauntless torn into chaos, this doesn't mean that life would be any be easier for her, she expects it to be harder. Since she is Divergent.

I've had a hard time reading Insurgent since I've read this like almost two years ago, more or less. I had a hard time remembering who's bad, and who's not. Who's the one I had to hate, and who I needed to love. >.<, so I reread Divergent before I started this and honestly, it was hard. The starting of the book was so boring, I didn't really like most of the first half because it just passed like a blur, its a meh moment for me. But, I couldn't try and give up on it, I had to try and at least see, if it could be better later on. It didn't take too long for me to get hooked again, but be warned there will be moments where you wish you could hurl the the book at the wall. Past the meh moments, I remembered how I really got hooked with the story, the plot shifted to a more epic proportion. I was really in tune with it, when I finally saw bits and bits of where to book will go. At first the pacing will be slow and you'll find yourself asking, "Heck!? Why did this happen?!", I was shocked myself, because recently rereading the first book, I know that the writing style kinda changed. I don't know what happened to Veronica Roth at the first half of the book when she wrote it, but she definitely saved herself with the last half.

I was instantly hooked with how it became a bit more dramatic and intense. Not in a bad way, mind you, but just a bit more, for excitement. I wasn't really disappointed that there were not really that many conversations between Tobias and Tris (but damn, did I really felt, how they really love each other), for once, I enjoyed it without the usual romance that I crave, it kinda portrayed more about friendship, trust, forgiveness, and other important stuff.

The characters were also memorable, I couldn't remember all of their names, but I will remember their roles once I hear the name, but the most memorable for me would be specifically, Christina, Caleb, Peter, Evelyn, Tobias, Tris and this new character.

I really adore Christina here, goes to show the sisterhood really has a different sense. I liked her a lot because she didn't leave Tris despite what happened to Will. I admired that about her, the forgiveness she gave, acceptance and loyalty was something that would be significant. Caleb... SPOILER ALERT, I really really really hate him. I don't understand what kind of greed he had to actually to that to Tris. HE WAS HER FREAKING BROTHER, and he didn't do anything! That made him maybe one of the most hated characters now, for me anyways. Peter, is a surprising in this book. I really hated him back then because of what he's done to Tris. His brutality, anger, and greed for strength really made him an obvious antagonist, but what he did here really confused me. Honestly I don't know if it was sincere or if he has this hidden agenda, why would he even do that?, why would he risk himself to do it? Evelyn is also a mystery before for me, I had this feeling that there was something fishy about her, as expected it did happen by Evelyn's work, but something tells me that there's more secrets that Evelyn's hiding.

Tobias...
I'm completely smitten by him again, he's the type of guy who's mysterious, and quiet. But here, he's a bit more expressive than before. I really felt his feelings for Tris here. Even when Tris had this phase, he was there. I liked seeing that passionate side of him. I'm not really used to it, but it was refreshing to see him in that kind of state, I will always remember that line.

"What did you do?"
"You die, I die too."

Damn! Do you need anymore proof that he loves you XD

Tris. I don't really understand why she went through that martyred mary-sue phase, kinda reminded me of Bella from the movie. I skimmed a lot when she got all angsty about how she should save everyone, I get that she's guilty with what happened to Will, that is completely understandable, what's not understandable is her suicidal attitude. I don't like it. At all. I was glad it ended with the first half, I started to see why I ended up loving her as a heroine. I saw her courage, her selflessness, her fighting spirit. I saw a real Divergent.

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

It was thrilling, exciting, a sure adrenaline-rush and action packed. The plot is perfect, the twist? Unthinkable, and the characters? Enchanting.

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

(She looks so pretty in this photo, right? :D)
Veronica Roth is from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011) and INSURGENT (May 2012). The third and final book in The Divergent Trilogy (not yet titled) will come out on October 22, 2013. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of bland breakfast cereal.)
CONNECT WITH HER:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!