March 13, 2013

Book Review: Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout (2 Stars)

Eh...Sad to say, but this is just meh.


Dying sucks--and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?
But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.


MY OPINION:

I am a big fan of the Lux series, pretty addicted to it, really. But unfortunately I really don't like this as much as I love her previous works.

After being brought back to life, Em now avoids touching anyone at all costs. She's done a pretty good job, until she accidentally killed someone. Then she's kidnapped, Em, her sister and mother are taken at a place where "gifted" people live. But instead of acceptance, she finds herself being more antagonized, more left alone. But even in the this place where she’s ostracized, she found someone to lean on, but for how long?

Too bad. That’s probably the best way I could describe this. Too bad, because it had an awesome plot, but the actual story itself is too predictable. Too bad, because it could be something much greater, but some parts in the story are just annoying. Too bad. Too bad.

Honestly, while I was reading this, I couldn’t shake out this heavy feeling I had while I was reading it, and it was not a good kind of heavy feeling. It felt like my own body was warning me, telling me to stop reading. I wish I listened. I ended up skimming most parts of the story. Up to the end. It felt horrible, ‘cuz I had really good expectations for this book. But it was predictable in a very disappointing way. Too strategical in terms of sequencing. Most of all, not really a good love story to look up to.

So sadly, I couldn’t really say that this book is a good read. Nor is it a bad read. It lingers between those two things. But in short. Cursed is just a “meh” kind of book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!