March 29, 2013

Book Review: Barely Breathing by Rebecca Donovan

Barely Breathing by Rebecca Donovan (5 Stars)


That all nighter was worth it :D

Emma’s struggle with an abusive home life came to a heart pounding conclusion in the final chapters of Reason to Breathe. Now everyone in Weslyn knows Emma’s secret, but Carol can’t hurt Emma anymore. Some are still haunted by the horror of that night, and some must face the repercussions of their choices. Fans of Rebecca Donovan’s debut novel will discover there’s still much to learn about Emma’s life.



MY OPINION:

After reading Reason to Breathe, I couldn't try and stop myself from immediately reading the sequel.

In all honesty. I don't know how Donovan could top of, or better yet, improve the story. But what Carol did to her before doesn't compare to the things that Emma experienced now.

Carol's finally gone. Emma's safe. But she doesn't feel like it. She still haunted by nightmares of that dreadful night. She decided to make a major change, she moved in with her Mother. With the assurance that she's stopped drinking, Emma moved in with her biological mother Rachel, to reconnect with her only living parent before she goes to College. She finally thought that things would get better. With Carol in jail, and life returning to normal. Everything should be fine. If it weren't for the secrets and new nightmares that she will encounter.

So, at first I thought that this would be the part where Emma actually tries to be normal and be a teenager for once, since now she has the freedom to do that. What I didn't expect, are the people who actually made her life a little more dramatic.

I've come to hate dislike most some of the characters. One of these would be Stuart(Evan's father), I am actually pissed at this guy because he's completely confusing. I don't get why he doesn't approve of Evan and Emma's relationship. They're obviously happy together. Emma's one of the most responsible people I've ever knew. Yet he didn't approve of her, and he shows a very blatant way of showing his dislike towards her. Totally unreasonable.

Then there's this new girl named Analese. I don't like her because in my opinion she's just an attention seeker, and an insecure girl. Honestly, she is just numb if she didn't feel the hostility that Emma and Sara directs toward her. She keeps on being this "touchy" person with Evan. Major flirt much?

Then there's Jonathan. When I first learned who Jonathan was, I was surprised to know that he's actually Rachel's boyfriend. I knew firsthand that Jonathan will be having this kind of "relationship" with Emma. I don't really think they even had a relationship, yeah they had some sort of weird connection. And I kinda sorta like Jonathan a little bit, but that didn't mean that something didn't feel off about him.

Then there's Rachel. I really don't know if I'm sad, angry or if I pity her. I couldn't believe that she was a mother. One thing I know is that Mothers don't get drunk so badly that their child calls for help. I know that Mothers don't say hurtful words to their children. Honestly its bad enough that she relies on alcohol, then add the bombshell that she uses drugs. Drugs. That is serious crap, honestly I have mixed emotions when it comes to Rachel, but what stands out most is pity. I pity her a lot because she couldn't get over the past. I pity her for her irrational jealousy. I pity her because she doesn't have anyone who loves her. I don't think she can be loved after what she did, and also because of what she does.

Emma... is a blend of confusion and irritation. I don't understand her most of the time, I don't understand why she chooses to hide her feelings. I'm irritated at her for being too nice, desperate to try and help Rachel. She changed a lot as the story progressed, and its not for the best.

But even though I was pissed a lot. I STILL LOVE THE BOOK! I loved a lot of things about the book.

I loved Sara for being a good friend. For always supporting Emma. For understanding even just a look from her. I loved Sara because she's sensitive, she cares. She love Emma. I love Evan because he's so devoted to her, I love him because he gave his complete trust to him. I love him, because of his desire to protect Emma. I love him, I love both Sara and Evan, because I felt how they really cared about Emma.

I loved how dramatic it was. It wasn't too dramatic, but enough to make you feel dozens of emotions. I loved the characters because they made me love the book even more. I love how the secret showed, one by one. Like a puzzle. I love it because its unexpected. I loved it because it was a roller coaster ride.

Simply put. It was amazing. <3

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I had an all nighter just to finish this book. The story progressed slowly but not in a boring way. It was full of drama, but its not overdone. It was an amazing roller coaster ride :)

* * *
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Optimism seeps from every pore of my body. I truly believe that what's supposed to happen... will! In that regard, I don't know how to give up; it's not part of my biological make up.

I'm a passionate (and some would say, overly enthusiastic) person. I learn by doing (and have been burned more times that I'd like to admit), but I will always throw my entire self into whatever I do - fail or succeed. 

I think this is evident when I write, leaving nothing behind and spilling it all out on the pages. I give it all to my readers - love it or hate it. 

The path I'm on is very often my own, veering off the beaten path at the sight of something more interesting or captivating, getting caught in the vines and thorns in order to experience the beauty and intrigue others often pass by. And I always meet the most interesting people along the way...

CONNECT WITH HER:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!