February 23, 2013

Mini Review: Providence by Jamie McGuire

Providence by Jamie McGuire (2 Stars)

Very... very irritating week. :( (Make that a month since that this book is soooo way long from my read list). This would only be a very short review since that I won't say anything that is good at all. I just saw something a little nice to give it a two star rating.

Two words. COMPLETE DISSAPOINTMENT.

Stuggling with her father's death, Nina meets Jared Ryel, presumably by chance. However it soon becomes clear that he knows more about her than even close friends. When her father's former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father was not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. In searching for the truth behind her father's death, she stumbles upon something she never expected, and something Hell wants, that only she holds the key for. Jared risks everything to keep the women he was born to save, by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.


MY OPINION:

*Sigh*

I really...really had high expectations from this book since the start. I've always heard of Jamie McGuire and her other works, how they were all captivating and how awesome and great the characters are... But this is what I think...

(For a more fun read, use a tone of sarcasm while reading) Nina's family is falling apart. Her mom is like a walking bomb just waiting to explode, her dad just recently died, and worst of all, she's going to school to meet a group of people she never thought she would meet at all. Jared is just... something to her, she can't undo what she feels, it was just there. But would that be enough if Jared's secret is too big for her to accept?

*huff*

Okay, honestly I'm getting bored trying to make a review out of this book so I will just cut the chase and just get down to business. I really really don't like it THAT much.

The love story is kinda crappy for me, I get that Jared had to leave Nina to make her safe and all that blaablablabla, but I hate it that they really made their life hell in the process of saving each others life. What are they masochists? It's stupidly obvious that they needed each other why bother and torture themselves?

Second thing I don't like about this story is that its not consistent. I like books that are consistent or increasing in terms of excitement level I have when reading. But this just ugh...Up down, down, down, up, up, down, up, up, up, down, down, and all over again. I hated how it can turn to the love of my life, to personal torture in just a few pages.

Third, the plot isn't even that good. Predictable in my terms, but if the plot isn't that all amazing, shouldn't the characters be totally awesome? Guess that it didn't happen here. The characters here are all crappy for my taste, some are a bit irritating while others are too plain for me to notice.

Fact is, I really don't like this book. The only reason that I'm giving it two stars is because it gave me some butterflies when the occasions come. But overall, its just OKAY for me. :|

WHY WOULD I NEVER NOT RECOMMEND IT?

I've always pushed myself to be patient in everything I read 'cuz you don't know maybe it would be better than the first 20 pages. But this is just.... ugh... Please, if you're the kind of person that isn't really patient, and hates a very conflicting story. AVOID THIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!