February 23, 2013

Book Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover (4 stars)

I. Love. It! :D

"It is amazing, its emotional, its an adrenaline rush. Dang, its perfect."

Blurb from Goodreads: Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

MY OPINION:

Its been a few months since I last read Point of Retreat, I loved everything about it. I practically love Colleen Hoover for bringing Will, Lake, Kel and Caulder in my fictional dream life. But I love her more for making such a strong and emotional book.

Sky's a pretty simple girl, and yet very different that most girls her age. She's independent, she doesn't care what other people think, she's smart, witty and very funny. Yet she's never felt butterflies in her stomach before, she never had an attraction with any boy. Then came Dean Holder. Holder is hot... but something's off about him, Sky's pretty sure that the guys a lunatic, but her attraction for him cannot go away. She found herself always bumping into him. She's pretty sure she likes Holder, but can she handle him, or better yet, can she handle what secret he has..... about her?

Hopeless is a way different novel than Slammed or Point of Retreat but at the same time its as awesome and as heartbreaking. I was unaware of the plot. I have not idea how it got to THAT part, I never had a right guess to what's going to happen. It was unpredictably awesome. I also like the pacing, its just perfect for my taste, not too slow and never too fast. I'm beginning to think that Colleen has more than mad skills when it comes to writing books.

One of my most favorite characters was Breckin. Why? 'Cuz he's fun, he's cute and he's gay. :) I've always wanted a gay friend ^^. Seriously, he's one of the most funniest persons in the book. Other than Six of course, he's very open with his gayness and he's a good friend. Six is also important 'cuz she's been a blunt, out-there friend for Sky. I love how she's so real, and how she doesn't pretend. I admire her bluntness, her unique character and devotion to Sky.

As much as I love Breckin and Six for being such wonderful friends, I have to say that the following people from the book blew me away.

Holder... well Holder is hot. That's already given so I'll put it in full detail. At first I was pretty sure Holder was schizophrenic or maybe just a hot psycho douchebag. Pfft, he has every sign of being that kind of boyfriend. 1.) Too curious, 2.)  Temperamental 3.) Had a tendency to hit lockers when angry. So you could pretty much guess why I hated him for being a douche. Turns out he wasn't like that without a reason. In the end I fell in love with the character named Holder. I can't even imagine what he went through, how he could keep a secret as big as that. I love him more because of his devotion to Sky. Knowing everything that happened to her, he was still there by his side. I love how he always makes Sky look at everything in a positive way, I love how he LIVES Sky :). Long paragraph short. I loooooooooooooooove him!

Then there's Sky. Sky who's different, Sky who doesn't like to get gifts, Sky who has such a painful past that subconsciously she forget them them. Maybe reading this book annoyed my friends 'cuz I've gasped, cried and whimpered when I found out what really happened to Sky. I can't imagine what kind of creature did that to her. It absolutely broke my heart, then knowing who did it, broke my heart to pieces. But, despite of the nightmare that that person caused her, she still saw something inside of her to forgive that person.

What happened to Sky is really painful because it happens in real life. Although I still can't imagine how the people have a stomach to do those kind of things. That's what made me love Sky more. She's a thinker for someone who's really really angry. Even though she's hurt, even though she's confused or sad. She always had time to think. Not always though, she can be rash sometimes but despite that, when she thinks. She always thinks of it both ways. I love that about her, I love her respect for Karen, I love how she cares for other people instead of herself, I love everything she stands for.

What Karen did for Sky was heartwarming (I'm not gonna tell it to you 'cuz it will be a big spoiler :D), although the result of that action caused another pain to others, I respect her a lot for doing what she did. It didn't matter to me if what she did was right or wrong, all that mattered was she was a selfless mother to Sky. What happened to Sky and the others were just sad heartbreaking, yet behind the tragedy that happened, Sky did a good choice. It may not be the best choice, but it wasn't the worst choice she could pick.

WHY WOULD I RECOMMEND THE BOOK?

It was a fun ride, its like riding on a train, but the windows were all covered, you wouldn't know what happened until you read a certain scene, or if you read a certain word. Its like a puzzle that you would slowly  piece together. Anybody can appreciate this book, some not like mine, but it will be a significant thing to read. :D

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


Her candid description: 
I'm addicted to and seriously floored by the talent of The Avett Brothers band, which is obvious in both of my books. They are 99% of my playlist. The other 1% being Eminem and Jason Mraz. I love lindor truffles (the white ones with the chips inside) and have an unhealthy addiction to diet pepsi. A serious addiction.

Connect with her:

2 comments:

  1. This book blew my mind. I honestly didn't see that twist coming, and I couldn't put the book down until I found out what happened! Seriously heart-wrenching stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! ^^ Its completely unpredictable, and exciting. I practically acted like an epileptic by the time I learned what really happened.

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!