February 9, 2013

Book Review: The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson (5 Stars)


I'm back!! :D
Finally I found the jive to start a review again. I hope this will make a good entry for February.

"The Crown of Embers is a mixture of fantasy and action and even a bit of love that definitely got me inspired"

Blurb in Goodreads: In the sequel to the acclaimed The Girl of Fire and Thorns, a seventeen-year-old princess turned war queen faces sorcery, adventure, untold power, and romance as she fulfills her epic destiny.
Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds. A breathtaking, romantic, and dangerous second volume in the Fire and Thorns trilogy.


 MY OPINION:

Just for the sake of sharing, I've read the first book before this entitled as "The Girl of Fire and Thorns". Its been at least a year and a half since I last read that so kinda coping up with the sequel is a bit hard at first. I had to admit that reading it was a bit boring since I don't remember half of the story. So patience to my fellow readers if you decide to read this.

Elisa has done a miracle. Defeating the enemies made her more than just the Bearer. She became their queen. Yet even though she has power, she felt nothing like that. Being queen and Bearer has taken its toll in her. Not to mention that the enemies are still wanting her dead. When she finds the opportunity to finally stop this war. She took it, but would it cause her the life of those she loves, or her own?

I've had a lot of fun reading The Crown of Embers 'cuz of all of the action scenes that happened. I love adventure games so it was a real treat to read a book that has adventure in it. Everything was so colorful and so lively that I was really inspired to draw it down on paper and to actually see Elisa on my own imagination. (I actually drew her already but I may be posting the artwork in a later date.)

Other than the action scenes that I really enjoyed, I really really liked the love story behind all of the commotion. It wasn't the usual thing that I read from other books. But its entertaining nonetheless. Other than the amazing plot that Carson made with the second book, and the very shocking twist that was brought up. The characters of the story was differently awesome that most characters I've read.

Elisa isn't the average girl-hero character. She's not that much of a skilled fighter too. So why would I even like her? The funny thing is I just like her 'cuz she's Elisa. I don't have a reason why I don't like her or why I do like her. Its just something about the way she acts, what her personality is and how she handles the situation that I really like.

But with Hector. Oh my. I LIKE EVERYTHIN' ABOUT HIM! XD

I just love how he comes out like a knight in shinning armor (which he is.) plus he's very very hot if you could imagine him <3. Sorry for being girly and all but for me Hector is almost close to perfect, with his looks, intelligence and very chivalry type of attitude. I can't help but get all giddy when he's the one on the spotlight. :))

But of course other than my love for the characters, I can easily say that I really enjoyed reading it because it made me imagine a whole new world. I love a good adventure, and I really appreciated how simple yet exciting this story is. I loved how it carefully detailed every scene without being too boring. I loved how thrilling the action scenes were. Needless to say, I know many people would appreciate reading this book.

WHY WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?

My review is a bit short and very simple today, but I get the feeling that you understand why I recommend it to you. It was adventurous, colorful, inspiring, thrilling and perfect for people like me who loves a good adventure. Call me a dork or something but its like playing your favorite RPG game. :D

* * *
About the Author:


I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I moved to Ohio to marry my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. We live in Columbus with my teenaged stepsons, who are awesome. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about questions I don't know the answers to.

Connect with her:

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I followed your blog via GFC. I was hoping that you could come check out my blog too? I would really appreciate a follow back and a button grab.
    Thanks heaps!
    http://musicplusbooks.blogspot.com.au/
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I could find this book or not.. but when you wrote that it'd definitely like playing some RPG game, you really get my attention.

    Hey, Dan Brown's new book Inferno is coming out.. I'm kinda waiting you would make a review about it too :D

    Feel free to drop by and say hi ^^
    xx
    Yoan
    http://shiftyeyesandsmirkingface.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!