January 12, 2013

Book Review: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover (5 Stars)


Gosh ;(
It made me cry so hard...
AGAIN...

"It was everything I expected the sequel could be. It was just pure emotion and very real that you can feel what the characters were feeling. It was a perfect sequel for Slammed"




Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart.
Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’


MY OPINION:


I was like this.


Then this...and more.

Slammed has been one of my most favorite novels EVER. It was the first to make me cry ever. I had a big expectation on reading Point of Retreat after I read Slammed. Boy oh boy, Colleen Hoover did not disappoint.

A year has gone by. Lake's mom is gone, and Layken and Will are almost living together. Day by day, Will's falling in love with her, more and more. But what will happen if Will's past flame comes back, and destroys the amazing future the two of them might loss?

Fun Fact:  That butterfly in the picture is soooooo 'butterflying' cute right?

Okay, again with my review. I pretty much liked every part of the book. It was still the same as when I first read the first book. Both of them are fabulous by my standards.

What I really liked about Point of Retreat is how fun and warm the story is. The Will and Layken's family merged when Julia died but with her death, two new characters popped in. Kiersten, Will and Layken's new neighbor is quite...unique for a child. She was like what 11, and she cusses... What the heck was that? She's eleven and she already cusses! Also her mom Sherry, is a very different kind of mom. But Sherry isn't as weird as Kiersten is. 

I love love love Caulder and Kell. They are sooo much more funnier now. Maybe its them growing up, or having to crawl out of their shell. I don't know. But they made the story a little bit more funnier. I kinda missed Eddie and Gavin though, they're not featured much, I miss Eddie's fun lines and Gavin's fun attitude.

Another person I think kinda deserves my irritated ranting is THAT GIRL a.k.a Will's ex. I hate her so much I don't even remember her name anymore. Imagine that? After she left him, just because she's afraid of the baggage that Will has, then she dates his BESTFRIEND. Then after a few years, she sees Will again and proposes that they should "get together again" 'cuz back then they had a "connection". That girl is sooooo full of herself. I bet she intentionally cried to make Will comfort her. She seemed like a scheming kind. If this ranting seemed a bit biased, I'm so sorry. But that girl is just a flirt, 'cuz she obviously knows he's in a relationship. Yet... Ugh!!!!!

And Will's OTHER BESTFRIEND, who is sooooooo insensitive 'cuz he dated THAT GIRL right after she dumped his best friend. Is. A. Douchebag. You hear me? You're a douche man.!!

Wheeww. Now that I finally got that out of my system, I would like to share what happened to my two most fave characters right now. From the start I found Layken and Will's relationship is just epic and true. Like before there were some trials in the relationship, but this time. Insensitivity really made it a big factor to actually break Will and Lake's relationship.

Like before, I like how Lake speaks her mind. I love her for not being clingy, and knowing her boundaries and limitations. I loved her for everything that she stands for. She did not disappoint now. Sure, it hurt when they kinda separated, but I think she did a right choice with making the space for the both of them. I loved her more and more than before. Because she really opened Will's eyes, letting him think what his real reasons are for loving her. Her sense of depth is amazing. I love her 'cause she values herself, she isn't some love-struck girl that lets her heart rule her mind and she is just so freaking hilarious :D

Will. I kinda hated Will for a millisecond there. I mean dude. If you know it would make your relationship complicated, you should let her know!! So that you could avoid that complication. >.< I just wanted to pinch Will's ear right then. Ugh!! It was just so irritating that he didn't became sensitive enough to know that Lake will get hurt. Double ugh... gosh boys :(

But putting that aside, I loved Will with his reasons. Gosh, he did a good comeback with that. Everything was just so simple. He did good in knowing what he really loves Lake. Eeeeeeh, remembering it just makes me have the giggles :D

And lastly Julia. Gosh, I loved her so much more too. Even though she passed away, all of her advises, she wrote in a vase for Will and Layken to use. Every quote there was perfect. I loved Julia, 'cuz she was a good  mom, and a good friend :D

WHY WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?

Just like before, it was inspiring and amazing. And if it makes it any better. It was more awesomer than the first book :D

So, now I give a round of applause for Colleen Hoover for making such a great book. For inspiring anyone with a love such as Lake and Will's. For proving how much it means to have someone who you REALLY love. She is awesome and I give you nothing but BRAVA! :D

* * *

FAVE QUOTES FROM "POINT OF RETREAT"

  1. "Sometimes two people have to fall apart, to realize how much they need to fall back together"
  2. "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid" - John Wayne
  3. "I'm not getting into the details of why mine didn't work out, but take it from someone who's had it before... you don't want to let it slip away. Fight for her."

* * *

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Her candid description: 
I'm addicted to and seriously floored by the talent of The Avett Brothers band, which is obvious in both of my books. They are 99% of my playlist. The other 1% being Eminem and Jason Mraz. I love lindor truffles (the white ones with the chips inside) and have an unhealthy addiction to diet pepsi. A serious addiction.

Connect with her:
Website | Facebook

6 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award

    Sarah@Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey I was wondering kung yung paperback yung binasa mo o yung ebook copy? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to read this! I just recently read my first Colleen hoover book and am ready for another. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Def need to read it!
    I'm your 34 follower if you like my blog too I'm waiting for you :)
    Xxx

    Carolina

    www.the-world-c.blogspot.com + JOIN MY GIVEAWAY you can win a fab dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Followed. Great dress and shoes! Gosh. :D

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!