January 25, 2013

Book Review: First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky


First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky (5 stars)


Wow. Just wow.

"I've always been awed by very different and unique characters, but now, after reading "First Comes Love" it gave me another new perspective."


Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what's next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.
What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.
But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they're going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you're sorry.


MY OPINION:

Gray was alone, after the death of his twin sister, Amanda. He felt like nothing is worth it anymore, he became an outcast of some sort, still lost in grieving for his sister. Then he met Dylan who in his guess is an insane girl with no hint of fashion sense. She was just so adventurous, so optimistic. So much like his sister. He tries to avoid her, but too bad, she on a mission. And it involves him.

I was surprised at first when I saw that this book only comes in less than 200 pages. Kinda short compared to the other books that I've read. I was actually worried that it was not gonna satisfy me as much as I've read other books. Turns out. IT TOTALLY ROCKED MY WORLD!!

First Comes Love is one of the most inspiring novels I've read. Its one of those books that gave me a whole new perspective to think about. It made my brain work into thinking the situations that the story had. The possibilities that it proposed are just awesome. I love Katie for being adventurous and for being fearless for making such a unique characters like Gray and Dylan.

The title and cover can really make you judge it at first. I thought that it looked like one of those chick-lit novels about those cute little girls that meet their one true love. I love reading those kind of books since it gives me the butterflies. But this is a whole 'nother different, but very inspiring novel.

What I liked about First Comes Love is, its not just about a story of two people falling in love. It was more than that. They grew for each other, they were best friends, they learned new things by hanging out. It was an adventure for the both of them. I had a lot of fun reading it. Kinda imagined that I was also there, hanging out with them.

The plot was nothing complicated but the way it was told was unique and emotional. I liked it a lot more ‘cuz it had a dual POV from Gray and Dylan. It was very imaginative too. I could picture every situation that happened, the places that was featured in the novel was greatly defined, and it gave a lot smiles appear in my face.

Dylan is probably the most outstand-ish character ever. I've never encountered anyone like her. She's definitely unique, more than that actually. She's inquisitive, thoughtful, and witty. I like her a lot 'cuz, she's not vain. She doesn't care about how people look at her and she's definitely not the type of person that would try to physically change just to please someone. Second, she has guts to be different compared to other people, she's adventurous and brave in everything. I admired everything about her. Simply put, she's my favorite character in the book.

Gray is a very simple but likeable character. He’s not really the type that everyone would swoon for (at first anyway). But he’s sweet in a lot of ways. He’s a very good listener, witty, opinionated and he has very strong beliefs. I admire all of that from him. Though at first I thought he was a complete douchebag, but I got over it after what he did. Moreover, I love his humor, though I rarely see it in him, its there and when it came out. I gave out a huge belly laugh.

Inside info for First Comes Love is that it was actually half-fiction and half-non-fiction. Katie Kacvinsky experienced most of the scenes in the book, while the plot was inspired by some of her friends. That explains why everything was so vivid. When I was reading it, if felt like I was actually seeing that cactus...

WHY WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?

It was one of those books that make you think, that gives you a new mindset to think about. It gave me a lot of ideas to how I should live out my life, how I should always give a second thought to everything that happens around me.

* * *

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

[She has a very candid bio that you can check out here ]

Connect with her


7 comments:

  1. Nice blog you have...wanna follow each other?
    please follow with GFC, just leave me a comment and I'll follow u back!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed back!
    Please check also my facebook page and like it if u can!

    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3
    LVE it
    xx share the feeling
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!
    http://frombowstobooks.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nominated you for a liebster blog ward. You can check it out here: http://jordansreadingnook.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award-nominee.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice review!
    thank you for sharing it with us.

    i'm starting to follow your blog. mind if you follow back? ^^

    xx
    http://shiftyeyesandsmirkingface.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Yoan. Followed you. Love your blog diary. So cute <3

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!