January 12, 2013

Book Review: Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky (4 Stars)


Ugh... Super hectic week... -.-
So, this will be a super late review. A bit brief too but... THE DANG BOOK WAS SO AWESOME I HAD TO SHARE IT TO YOU PEOPLE WITH ALL YOUR AWESOMENESS!

"Everything about it screams. "Jump to the future". The characters and scenes were full of action. Plus, the plot will give you an adrenaline rush."
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.
Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.
In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.



MY OPINION:

Simply put, everything about it is awesome. At least in my opinion.

I loved the plot. It really made my brain work, I had a clear image in my mind about how everything looked like. I loved the techie things that were brought up there too. The pacing was just right, I quickly understood every detail but it didn't seemed rushed or too much for my brain to process.

It started out that Maggie is the only child of the person who made Digital School. But even if her father is the maker of this educational cyberworld, little did all the people know that Maggie herself had made a rebellion that affected every DS protester. Then one day, she met Justin. He seemed... strange... a bit too enthralled with the "real life". Then she learned that he was a protester himself, and she's starting to be one herself.

A little tip for those who decide to read this. Continue reading. It can be a little boring at the start, but it gets better when she starts hanging out with Justin. I got really entertained with some specific scenes there. I definitely got an adrenaline rush AAAAAAND the characters are all awesome!

Maggie... I don't really love her that much, but I don't hate her too. There are times where I just want to be sad and irritated at her, but most times, I understand her situation and even cheer for her. GAAAAH! She definitely changed ever since she met Justin. But I'm not sure if its for the better or worse. She became much more independent and strong, she finally had her own beliefs in life, and she doesn't need her parents' permission for such things that were just meant for her to think about.

In the other hand, she became so clingy. I don't like clingy girls, they kinda annoy me. But in her situation, I can't blame her. She learned all the new things with Justin, so there's kind of an instinct to rely on him. But at least she tries not to be clingy. :D

Justin is a very different character. I like him, he seemed like someone you could really depend on. But I viewed him like he was just my older brother. He's not really THAT swoony, but he did a lot of sweet things to Maddie, so he's a bit sweet, but... there's still something different about him.

WHY WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?

I may not have long and numerous words in this review. But know that this has completely made a mark for my year, this would be my first dystopian read for the year. And it was completely awesome. I can't wait to read the sequel :D

* * *

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

[She has a very candid bio that you can check out here ]

Connect with her

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!