December 25, 2012

Movie Review: Ruby Sparks

Ruby Sparks

So, I just watched some DVD's and one of them is this. Ruby Sparks really made a mark. I enjoyed it a lot and maybe its because Ruby is a fictional character brought to life. That really sparked my interest. I knew it was something worth watching so I decided to make a review about it. Enjoy! :D

Directors: Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris
Writer: Zoe Kazan
Stars:
  • Paul Dano as Calvin Weir-Fields
  • Zoe Kazan as Ruby Sparks
  • Chris Messina as Harry
  • Annette Bening as Gertrude
  • Antonio Banderas as Mort
  • Elliott Gould as Dr. Rosenthal
  • Steve Coogan as Langdon Tharp



Storyline at IMDb : Calvin is a genius novelist who begins to type a new novel on his manual typewriter about Ruby, his dream girl. He can't believe his eyes, because the next day, Ruby becomes a real person, and they begin to have a beautiful relationship together. If the relationship isn't perfect, all Calvin has to do is simply type the words on the page and Ruby's actions change to what he needs.





MY OPINION:

I'm sure that any avid bookworm wishes that their favorite character from any fictional novel would come true. (I know I wish that would happen). So what happens if that actually comes true?

Calvin is the well known, New York #1 Bestselling Author for his recently published book. A genius people describe him, but he is feeling anything but. He's struggling with making another novel. He can't find the right thing to write, thinking that it would be too stupid, too logical, or boring. Then, he had these dreams, of a girl. That girl inspired him to make Ruby and their love story. The story told about how "Calvin" fell in love with Ruby. Calvin wrote different kinds of details for Ruby. Her hometown, her past, her likes and dislike. Every detail that can describe who she is. But never did he think even in his wildest dreams, that the girl that he's writing, the girl he's falling in love with. With appear in reality.

I'm sure the concept alone gets everyone excited, especially to the readers out there. For me, I wanted to see if the movie was as good as the people say they are. Didn't have any real expectations though because I don't know the main characters at all (All I knew was Antonio Banderas ^^).

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT IT?

I liked it a lot mainly because I always had the fantasy of meeting my favorite fictional character. I can imagine how Calvin got overjoyed by having his "love" come to life. I mean, she's everything he wished for. Plus, it really ventured how writers or authors write their books. I've tried writing, and I'm certainly not as patient in making a story. So, it kinda refreshed the idea of how passionate authors are. Other than that, I loved how the progressed. I can't say that its intsa-love, 'cuz even before she became "real" he's already in love with her. So, mainly the continuation of their "love story" is the main agenda.

For the characters, I'm pretty much neutral with most of them. But I like Harry a lot! He is hilarious. I love it when he's the one talking 'cuz I half-suspect that it would be funny.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT?

I'm a bit disturbed by Calvin's... mind? Ugh, he seems too high-maintenance, and really demanding. If that is the effect of being a genius, then he should know that he was a douchebag. His mindset is completely weird, because he's very specific for what he wants. He says he loves Ruby, but I can't understand his concept of love. If he loves that way, its definitely borderline scary and awkward. Ruby is no exception, she's a bit too wild for my taste, not exactly a match for Calvin.

OVERALL

It taught me that in life, we try to have a resume for what type of girl or boy we should be with, like she should be pretty, tall, sexy, smart. But truth is, sometimes your yardstick for the perfect type of person can never really be what you want. If you find a person with all those attributes, it would be a miracle. But thing is, you can never really find "the perfect one". They don't exist.

And in love, yardsticks don't matter. You forget every single thing you wished for a person. Instead you accept fully, and irrevocably the person herself/himself. You treat their flaws as something that is unique about them. You treasure every moment just because you appreciate the time they give you.

I loved the movie, and I would know that many people would appreciate it. I know that many people could relate to it, and lastly I know that many people could understand the true meaning of the movie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!