November 25, 2012

Book Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Slammed by Colleen Hoover
(10 stars)

I know I usually give a 1-5 rating for my reviews but this book has made me do something I so rarely do. It made cry so much that I had been sobbing at some point, just because I had a "connection" with it.

Blurb on Goodreads : Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


MY OPINION:

The words : "FREAKINGLY AWESOME AND FANTASTIC" are the best way to start this review. I love it. I just love it. It was the first book, for now that I have labelled as inspirational, a super fave, and perfect for hopeless romantics (like me!!) . It was absolutely perfect for me. I love love love the writing, I love the plot, and most of all I love and I am in love with the characters.

It was about Layken who recently moved to Michigan because of financial reasons and from the start, she hated Michigan. But she met her neighbor, Will. She instantly had a connection with Will, and she admitted that maybe Michigan won't be that bad if Will is there. Then she finds out that they can't be together. Worst of all, the secrets and revelations that she is discovering is finally taking its toll on her.

The writing I love. So much. The songs from the Avett brothers are starting to spark my interest, and I love the poems! Gawd, the poems were all awesome and it was a treat for someone like me. I write poems too, and I appreciate it that there's a "slam" night where people would "slam" the poems they've made in front of an audience, Kinda makes me wish there is a club N9NE somewhere. 

The little brothers Kell and Caulder were adorable, and they made the best characters come out of Layken and Will. Julia (Layken's Mom) is also one of my fave characters, she's the only mom in the books i've read that has been one of my favorites. I love her so much, her devotion to her kids and good nature was just awesome. Kinda reminds me of my mom too. What happened to Julia is very deep and heartbreaking, and yet she still puts on a smile for her children which made me love her more. Eddie is what a true bestfriend stands for. Everything about her is exactly what a bestfriend does and knows. I love her a lot.

I love Will and Layken to infinity!! They are both awesome, and best of all, they compliment each other so much, I can't choose who I love most between them. Layken is just an awesome girl. She's the type of girl anyone would root for. I love her for being honest with herself, and her love for her brother and mother is selfless and inspiring. Most of all, I like the fact that she didn't beg for Will to do something, instead she tried to do something about their "complicated" relationship so that she could be friends with him. I love her 'cuz she isn't clingy and that she isn't naive like most girls. 

Will, is definitely someone anybody can fall in love with. The poem he made about death is just full of emotion and I feel it, even from reading. His sense of responsibility is really touching too, he loves Caulder so much, and he would do anything to make sure that his little brother is happy. Their relationship got more complicated near the end, and I was just waiting to see what would happen to them, and I ended up crying, for joy and utter relief (the reason, I don't want to tell 'cuz it will too much of a spoiler.)

I had to admit that I didn't like the start of their lovestory, I don't agree with insta-love, it will never happen in the real world, and it is soo mary sue when it happens, I got irritated with their instant connection, but it didn't last long. It was before the middle of it that I thought: "Hold up, there's something about this" , the story got better as it progresses and it touched me in a deeper way that any novel has yet to do. I cried then sobbed, maybe even screamed because of it. I knew from the moment I stopped crying, that this is an extraordinary novel.




WHY I WOULD RECOMMEND IT?:
It made cry a river of tears >.<, It was that awesome and that deep that it gave me a much more deeper appreciation of life, of my parents, of family and of love. Love truly is something that can't be stopped, they all say that you should love with your brain. That is true, but with love comes the heart, and I too believe that everything should be balance, especially with love.

About the Author:
Her candid description: 
I'm addicted to and seriously floored by the talent of The Avett Brothers band, which is obvious in both of my books. They are 99% of my playlist. The other 1% being Eminem and Jason Mraz. I love lindor truffles (the white ones with the chips inside) and have an unhealthy addiction to diet pepsi. A serious addiction.

Connect with her:
Website | Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book too,Jules!You should read Point of Retreat, the sequel soon.It was frigging awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't wait to read it! After the tears I got out of my system, I was wondering if I would cry again because of the sequel. ^^

      Delete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!