October 12, 2012

Book Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry (5 Stars)

SUMMARY: No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

MY OPINION: Dang, so glad that I chose to read contemporary novels for now. This book is by far is the best I’ve read this month.

Pushing the Limits is about Echo Emerson and Noah Hutchins, the book had different POV’s of Noah and Echo. Basically Echo is assigned to tutor a certain student, she definitely didn’t expect it to be Noah Hutchins, hot guy, stoner, and known for his one-night stands. Not really acquainted with each other, they start to meet, to squabble and fight, and fall in love.

The plot was not very original but it still has a special touch to it that I can’t put a name on. The occasional good girl meets bad boy is actually the oldest trick in the book, so I didn’t have any high expectations for it at first. But I kept seeing reviews, compliments and praises for it. So I read it, just to know if it really was as good as they say.

I didn’t expect it to be the most ‘awesomest’ book I’ve ever read at all.

The characters were just a slice of heaven, I actually loved most of them, not just Echo and Noah. The whole group of characters, Echo and Noah’s friends, and Noah’s brothers, Mrs. Collins. They made the book so much better that it actually is. I love Lila for being a good friend, for not leaving Echo despite of her being a ‘freak’. Isaiah and Beth were just adorable for me, sure they are a bit of a bad influence but they were still good friends nonetheless. Noah’s brothers were so cute, I can imagine why Noah loves them so much, that he actually attempts to be responsible despite being a stoner. Most of all, Mrs. Collins. Gosh, Mrs. Collins might probably the only adult I’ve come to like so much. Her passion and determination to help both Echo and Noah was so touching and most of all, I loved her carefree attitude outside of the school, and professional, strict aura at work. She was the most influential to both Noah and Echo, and she helped bring out the best in both of them.

I love Echo, not as a want to be heroine, but as a girl who chose to make a change for herself, a change for the better. Falling in love made her face her fears, the scars in her arms, her impending need to please her father, and most of all, her loss of memory. I was practically (SPOILER ALERT) squealing with delight when she showed all of her scars. Ha! Everybody was openmouthed when that happened. I was clapping and grinning like an idiot when it finally happened. Her character was an inspiration to many teenagers who experience these kinds of problems. That alone made her very important and memorable.

But most of all, I give my praise to the character I loved most.

NOAH HUTCHINS!!!



Him showing up is just a dream for me. He has all the physical aspects that I find attractive in a guy. Hot with the usual rugged look with a silent and mysterious aura. >.< So dreeeeaaamy~!

But beside the hot looks, I am amazed by how much his appearance is a major contradiction to his character. He wasn’t a bad boy for no reason. His past, his infinite love and care for his brothers was just heartwarming. Most of all, I love it when he changed for the better so that Echo would actually be nice to him. Ohmigawd! It was like a dream come true for me. I always imagined to see a guy, changing himself for the better just to make the girl notice him. It was cute to see him, to see a guy like him, go and work hard, to impress the girl that he likes. But Echo didn’t like[love] him just because he changed, she loved him because he accepted her, because he was there to understand when others weren’t. Because just by being with him, she can show who she really is, she doesn’t need to play a part that she didn’t want, she was just herself.

It isn’t at all a perfect story, there were still some ups and downs, and big revelations, in the end. I’m so happy I read the book, and congratulations to Katie McGarry not just for the book, but by inspiring me and possibly other people. For proving the quote, “There is more than it meets the eye” is right.

3 comments:

  1. I just got this book from the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you!! GO read it right now!! I hope you'll love it as much as i do~! :D

      Delete
  2. Amazing Review.. This book is on the top of my wish-list.. After reading your review I just want the book now... :)
    Your blog is cool... I just followed you..
    My blog link : http://inisravishingreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!