October 12, 2012

Book Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

SUMMARY: She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But... they are brother and sister.

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.

MY OPINION: Darn. I wish I wasn't trying to be fair. I wish I stopped reading by the middle of it, I wish I would just stop torturing myself with negativity, I wish that for once, a story like this WILL have a happy ending.

I’ve been very open that I find incest (My opinion), disgusting and well a very uncomfortable subject. but I also made it a rule for myself to be open to any kind of book, despite the subject. I can say that I half regret reading it and half-surprised I actually read a book like this.

I decided to read this to overcome my certain ugly trait. I'm not really judgmental, but I am very opinionated. Being so, with my beliefs, I stick to it, no matter what. But sometimes in life, in order for you to be understanding, you will have to let loose on 'some' of your beliefs.

So I chose to read this, when I read the synopsis, it wasn't so bad. Something different, something edgy. But I did bear in my mind about the whole incest thing. So i read it, then I stopped, because... it was too lonesome.... but I continued reading it, until I finally finished reading the whole book. The result, a numb brain that can't decide if I really like it or not.

Lochan and Maya are thirteen months apart by age. With their irresponsible mother gone most of the time, They are the one who care for their younger brothers and sister, Kit, Tiffin, and Willa. Besides taking care of the family at a young age, they find themselves in a dangerous situation. Incest is illegal by law (and its just bad!) , and they’re clearly falling in love with each other. What might this entail?

The book just makes me want to collapse with sadness, because you see reality here, not much fiction. They were living so scarcely that they can’t have the luxury of getting new things often. I feel bad for Maya and Lochan's siblings, they are missing out different things that a child usually experiences at their age, even their uniforms and food is not right for them. But I can't say that Maya and Lochan aren't doing their best. They are working so hard to sustain their family. Its a good thing Willa and Tiffin are much more understanding, although Kit isn't half that bad. As younger siblings at least they understand their situation is a bit hard, and they're trying not to be burden to both of their older siblings.

Lochan and Maya... their story is just sad. Although as much as I want them to be together, goodness, I wished several times that they aren't really brother and sister. I knew somehow that they can't can never really be together. I don’t even care if there’s incest in there relationship. It was just so lonely, and both or them were miserable and I pity them because they can't do anything.

I don’t know where I stand, It wasn’t good at all, my body sags with grief when I read it. But it isn’t exactly ugly for me to give it low rating too. I just wished there was a bit more of an optimistic vibe in it. Something that can give hope, something that can give a solution (if there really is one) in these kind of situations.

It isn’t even a horrible book, it just speaks the truth, a reality check. That sometimes when you are at your lowest state, the only ones who will be there for you is family.  No matter how bad what you did is, they’ll be there to forgive you, to love you and care for you. The book doesn't have a problem, in fact, it is one of the most intriguing books I've ever read. It was really edgy, and well, not really in my comfort zone. But truth is I'm just a fourteen year old girl, I still can't handle this type of problems and topics.

Lesson learned, I just have to avoid these kind of topics, its too heavy for me to bear in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!