October 12, 2012

Book Review :Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless by Josephine Angelini [Starcrossed #2]
(3.5 Stars)

SUMMARY: Can true love be forgotten?

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out--a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

THE COVER: I don't like it at all. The girl looked burned by the sun and the hair looks artificial or something. On the plus side, the title is catchy.

MY OPINIONS: It’s been a few weeks since I read this, so sorry if it’s only a short review.

The book ugmm, okay because it was way better than the first. Starcrossed was actually a bit disappointing when I first read it, “That’s it?, NO WAY!” was my first reaction. I vaguely remember giving it three? Or was is it a four? Overall I was really hoping the second book [Dreamless] will be better.

The second book was mostly about Helen finding a way to “undo” or stop the blood for blood curse in the Scion civilization. Having met Orion, who coincidentally is “owned” by two houses. With his help, Helen finds a way to meet the furies and stop the curse, but will it cost not just her own life, but the life of the entire universe?

Well, I’m on the neutral side for this one. At first I thought: “Yay it was awesome!” but as time went by I had the chance to think about it, and the truth is, its not that great at all.

Helen was still the same Helen, beautiful but oblivious to it, completely impulsive and still in depression because of the Lucas-cousin thing. I’m not really irritated at her, just itching to know if the whole “incest” thing is true. Plus, the whole, I have to be far away from him/her thing is old school already. It makes them look masochistic actually.

Lucas is both the pessimist and masochist for me. His worst idea, his worst nightmare. I really don’t care what will happen with him at all. I have lost all hope now that he will be a good guy for Helen. Furthermore, his act of douchebaggery and street-cred attitude was just a turn-off.

The family seems at to be at the verge of falling apart. Everybody’s fighting with each other. Lucas accidentally hurts Noel, Jason’s angry with Helen, Cassandra slowly detaching with her family etcetera, etcetera.

Sure, it got a bit better, and a little bit more exciting, but its right around the edge of tv drama show. Everything’s too stressed, too much havoc, crying, sorrow and angry men and women. It isn’t that enjoyable anymore.

The only thing better now is Orion the new guy. I so love him, he’s like a new pint of fresh air. I love his humor, attitude and most of all gosh, he’s hot! XD

Overall, the second installment was a letdown [for me], even though the plot is taking a new and much more exciting term. The characters are getting on my nerves, and if I decide to read the third installment, I won’t have any high hopes at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!