September 30, 2012

Book Review : The Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

The Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin (1 Star)

SUMMARY: Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population, and those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery makeup . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club--in the depths of her own despair--Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club, and Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find not just something to live for, but something to fight for--no matter what it costs her.

THE COVER: This was actually the reason that I chose to read it, 'cuz it's pretty and well, I read the classical story by Edgar Allan Poe: The Masque of the Red Death. I hoped this version was as cool and mysterious as the classical one. But boy oh boy. I was so wrong.

MY OPINION: It was a big letdown. The characters were all damn irritating. I hated the love triangle, and I hated disliked almost all of the characters. Araby is yet another naive, stupid heroine that did things that she was ordered to do even though she doesn't want to do it. I hated her more than the douchebag Elliot. She was just too damn naive that she doesn't know when to follow her gut feeling and stop trusting douchebags. Other than that I really HATE the fact that she tries to punish herself for her twin's death, but she didn't even do anything! In the end she's just a lone, guilty girl with false bravado.  Elliot is another thing, he's another possessive, bossy control freak that just radiates this aura of "evilness", he's also a sadist which makes me hate him more. I can't imagine (SPOILER ALERT) that he would actually hold Araby at the edge of the boat, in a river or was it a lake? Full of crocodiles and tell her that he was falling in love with her?
Complete arse!! Worst of all, Will is also an douchebag, to think that I hoped that somehow, this guy is actually the one for Araby, but in the end, I hated him more than Elliot. I don't think I really hate them, but they are DARN IRRITATING.
On the positive side: The plot itself was average, but I like the fact that the secrets and twists are unthinkable. Other than that, I got nothing. =.=

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!