August 25, 2012

Book Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
(5 stars)

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
As much as I read many people hating this book(based on reviews) I still loved it! <3

I can't believe it! Two books in a row, both 5 stars! :D This is my lucky day. After a few days of reading the book, I appreciate and adore the eyebags it left at its wake. Because trying to stay up all night just to finish the book was worth every kilowatt energy I can produce.

Calla, a female alpha wolf of the Nightshade pack was betrothed to fellow alpha, Renier Laroche of the Bane pack. Calla is now facing the most important part in her life and in her future pack's life. The union will finally form Calla and Ren's new pack. But how will Shay, a new human in the school, whom Calla saved, alter her decisions and beliefs in life.Will she fulfill her duty and stay with Ren to protect and serve her Keeper, or will she, for once in her life, choose to follow not her master's orders but her heart's command?

Saying the term "I love it" is not enough. It was so pleasing in many angles and addictive that I couldn't dare let myself stop reading. Finally, after a few months of not being completely enthralled. Once again, I have found my new love.

Nightshade really piqued my interest because of the story plot, it had a different style than most books about werewolves. It this book, the werewolves are called "Guardians" and they protect the "Keepers", since it's something new, I wanted to try it.

The characters were very intriguing. Cremer didn't describe the characters in strict detail, but their personality  and attitudes were more revealing than their physical appearance. I felt like I knew them personally, which made me love them more.

Calla is a very inspiring heroine, she loves her family, friends and her pack and she would risk anything for them. Although very orthodox, I still find her awesome.

Ren really isn't that bad either. Under the very VERY thick arrogant face, is a man of a sensitive heart. It's fun to see him boasting that Calla is his. Arrogant but cute, cocky and jealous but still cute. He was very vulnerable when the book was near the ending, I'm interested to what will happen with him and Calla in the end.

And Shay, he is just freaking adorable. I usually don't like a kid-brother figure as the leading man, but he was just a cute little thing >.< I like his sweetness and humor. He's kind of the ideal guy to me.

Although, I gotta admit that Cremer had a lot of guts featuring gay relationships in the story (which I admire), I read other books featuring gays but I like the way Cremer made it more casual and carefree. This is a very sensitive topic to many people, and I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this but: Gays are very normal and wonderful people. They are great friends with a joyful personalities, many people misunderstand them, heck sometimes I don't even get them. But as pinoys says "walang basagan ng trip". If you have nothing good to say, you might as well shut up so that you won't hurt others.

Overall I think Andrea Cremer made a good job, and I can't wait to read the sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!