August 25, 2012

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

DIVERGENT BY VERONICA ROTH
(5 STARS)

Oh my Gawd! Dude, this is too good to be true! >.<

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

Beatrice Prior had made the decision that will forever change her life. Choosing Dauntless, she now left her old family and past to make a new life among the Dauntless. There she met Four, one of their trainers for initiates, she learns to be brave, to fight and protect not just for herself but also for those around her. But as her training continues, she learns the deep secret that the faction leaders has kept hidden from everyone, which will make the factions much more enigmatic than what she really thought.

WOW. Just WOW.

This kind of story makes me remember the hunger games and the Delirium trilogy. Although the style is almost the same, there’s something about Divergent that makes it so special. The factions itself was amusing. Abnegnation for the selflessness. Erudite for knowledge seeker, Candor for the honest. Dauntless for the brave and Amity for the righteous. The complexity of the book is what makes it amazing, it’s like you love it, but you don’t have the proper words to actually describe it, it's the feeling I got when I was reading it reading it.

I especially like the fight scenes in the book, don't get me wrong i'm not a violent kind of person, but the different fighting styles are interesting. My most favorite fight scene is when Beatrice beat Molly up (I'm kinda biased on this one), really raw, it's like I can feel what Tris is feeling. And mostly I can't forget that part where Tris jumped of a 100 storey building, makes me want to bungee jump too. Well, it isn't really a bungee jump, but it was close to it.

Having Dauntless as a headquarter is awesome, I kept imagining what it would really look like in person. It is a bit eerie, because it's dark and hidden in a cave, but gawd. It would be much more awesome than an ordinary field trip.

Beatrice was cool, I liked her but not that much. Her name change to “Tris” was a great move, made her a bit more edgy and perfect for her attitude. I can’t say that I like her arrogance against showing vulnerability, but it is endearing. Most of the time, I really like Tris’ personality, her perfect blend of selflessness, inquisitiveness, and courage made her very admirable. Most of the time anyways, because when she's not "acting" like a divergent. She just seemed like a simple girl.

Four/Tobias is also cool, but like Tris, I don’t like him that much too. He seemed like the loner-don’t-talk-to-me type that became open when the heroine came. Although he did seem like a hot guy. >.< He didn’t appeal that much to, his past was half predictable and his bossiness or coldness when he’s with Tris in public is actually normal, in his loner type. He’s also a bit of jerk, but not a jerk enough to make me want to pull his eyes out.

As for the other characters, Uriah is my most favorite and Eric is the most hated-but-cool character. I know that Tobias is the match for Tris, but Uriah is eye-catching, he isn't featured much in the book but I kept hoping that somehow he was Tris' match (but i'm not sad that Tris' matched with Tobias). And Eric... I noticed that in books some bad guys are always named "Eric"... anyways, he is so bad ass. His look is scary but that's what makes him noticeable, unlike Peter. Pffft. He looked like a nerd to me.

I don’t really love the characters as much as I did to my other favorites, they were just plain to me. The plot was what made this book a Five star worthy review. The secrets and twist in the story was just surprising, there were many things that were happening that I can’t let myself to stop reading it.
And right now, I can’t wait to read insurgent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!