June 24, 2012

Book Review: Forsaken By Jana Oliver

(2 1/2 Stars)
Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself—and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on...

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get—even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart—and her life?

Cover Opinion: I gotta admit, the cover made me want to read it, it was gloomy and a bit gothic in design, very attractive for my tastes, and those blue eyes, aaahhh! It's like they're taunting you: Read me!! Well, I'm a sucker for cute covers and I learned that the hard way, but at least it didn't disappoint me that much. O.o

Book Review: It is pretty unique, and it really piqued my interest, I haven't encountered a story about demon trappers, until now.
So here's the thing, Riley is the daughter of one of the most famous trappers of their guild, she is constantly trying to impress the guild masters(or whatever they call them) so that she would be a licensed trapper, but spawns from hell, kept on coming and they all have a common target, and that's Riley. She then tries to survive after the trials that kept going on her way, and she finds herself cooperating with two guys who pisses her off, one who broke her heart, and the other, who kept trying to make her look false so that she would fail.

*sigh* what a rather difficult life for Riley Blackthorne, I felt sorry for her, her life was so bad, and what's more interesting? She fights Lucifer's demons. Brave girl, I don't think I can handle that much drama, I think I'd cry if someone or something pissed me off like that. (Good thing I'm normal). *sigh* another sigh because Riley is yet again, another girl who is blind about love, Beck loves her!!! It's practically obvious, he wouldn't stay there any longer if he doesn't have feelings for her. Gawd! Suuuuuure the guy had great respect for the old man, ssuuuuuuuuuurrrrreeeee he's indebted to Paul, BUT WHO CARES! If a guy wants to leave, he'll leave, without hesitation, he already cares for her, but she's too blind to see that, she sooo bitter about the past, she's actually lucky that someone's looking after her like Beck does.

*groan* but worst of all, Beck, the should-be, responsible, and awesome trapper, is a drunk hazard. Goodness some of the characters here were plain annoying. One guy was a goody too shoes boyfriend who sometimes thinks of her as temptation, the other one is a coward best friend, who couldn't even admit face-to-face that she likes Riley, and worst of all, the mysterious guy who kept saving Riley's life.

I hate? love? like it? I'm not really sure, It's very good, the action scenes were full of adrenaline, and the demons they encounter were a bit scary (I'm not even sure if they're in the bible), it's not something that everyone would appreciate (I know for sure, that I'm not gonna read the next part of the series), but it was fun while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!