June 16, 2012

Book Review: Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

(2 stars)

Rogerson Biscoe, with his green eyes and dark curly hair, is absolutely seductive. Before long, sixteen-year-old Caitlin finds herself under his spell. And when he starts to abuse her, she finds she's in too deep to get herself out...

Well, a story of a masochistic girlfriend is refreshing

This is quite exciting, I never read this kind of book before, I didn't know what to expect, it was a little awkward to read, 'cuz it deals with a lot of issues that teens usually encounter.

The book was about Caitlin who had her life destroyed when her sister Cass runs away from home, Caitlin has always been the shadow of her sister Cass, with her sister's runaway her parents became more attentive when it comes to her, she's neutral about it, but she still feels alone, then she met Rogerson who became her friend, lover, tyrant and nightmare.

First of all, what kind of parents are they! Yes, the situation is a distressful, but Caitlin doesn't deserve this kind of guardianship. Here and then, I officially hate Caitlin's parents. They were waaaay to pushy and their trying to make this kind of figure were they're a perfect family was just gawdammed awful.


Then tatatadaaaa! Caitlin meets Rogerson who in book standards was hot [but I think he looks like a jock who got addicted to online games plus eyebags], she got really attached to Rogerson, and he to her. But this is an extraordinary novel, so of course you have to expect the unexpected, he's a sadist, and he constantly hurts Caitlin, either he slaps her, or hits her, when she's late for their meeting or she just did something wrong.

STUPID CAITLIN, I, a woman of my own virtue claims that every girl has the right mind to be angry or feel violated because of what Rogerson does. HE HITS HER! What kind of thinking is she doing?! She's so hungry for attention that she tolarates him hitting her? Screw it!! She was sooo irritating, I wanted shake some sense into her.

Rogerson was a control freak, he wants her always alone, ALWAYS, and whenever she's late for their date, he just hurts her, then he kisses her then says he loves her. What arse!

It was painstakingly awful to read the book, because somewhere deep in your head, you know it's true. Somewhere out there in the world, many women are getting hurt and consents it. I don't know why they accept it, it feel inhuman for me to hurt someone to that extent.

But despite the real-horrifying attributes in the novel, I kept reading and boy oh boy did I learn.

Eventually Caitlin gets to her senses[GO GIRL, FINALLY!] but fear always takes her back, and I don't blame her, I can't even think of getting late if my boyfriend will hit me in the end, what more if she tries to break up with him, and in the end she still can't say what happened, and her neighbor was the one who found out.

Freaky, and of course her parents got a hell of a surprise, but at least they didn't rant to her about it. She was sent to a institution to help her mend her 'emotional wounds', and she gets well... her friend is back... her parents became more close to her... and Rogerson was gone... and Cass came back.

I liked it but it took me to the edge, and I don't think I'll be comfortable reading something like this again... yet anyway and overall I think Cass was a selfish beeyach, 'cuz she left her family alone and made her sister destroy her life because of what she wanted to do.

It told me good lessons that I might encounter[but I hope not], it was an eye-opener, and I salute Sarah Dessen, she made a good book. [but i'm still not reading something like this again, yet]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love reading your opinions, whether its the same or different from mine. I will reply to all kinds of comments and I hope to have the chance to talk to you guys!